Monday, December 1, 2008

màngi sant.

Wrapping up a quiet weekend, it was good to relax and have downtime after getting back from four days away from site. This week I go back to work refreshed, ready to tackle a busy schedule and start work in earnest (Inch’Allah!) It was wonderful to get away for a bit though, as Tuesday I left my coastal town south of Dakar to travel about nine hours north (on good road, so you estimate the mileage) to a town near the border of Mauritania, where about a third of all the Peace Corps Volunteers in Senegal were gathering to celebrate that quintessential American holiday, Thanksgiving.

The volunteers who live in that region did a stellar job of organizing the preparation of food and drink for almost fifty people, especially considering they basically only had one oven, one stovetop, and one fridge to work with. As much as possible was prepared ahead of time, and the lineup of pies on game day was a sight to see. The boys were in charge of buying turkeys, and on the morning of the feast they killed and plucked them, later grilling two and deep-frying one. We had chickens as well, and as it’s still watermelon season here, there was a fruit salad served in a watermelon cut like a basket, and other treats such as a delicious assortment of cookies, homemade stuffing (and Stovetop that someone had thoughtfully sent from America), mashed sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, care package canned cranberry sauce, green beans “White House” and a cheesy corn casserole. Dinner was served around 3 pm, and sitting down on mats outside the house, surrounded by many friends (and a warm 95 degrees), I tucked into my plate. Thousands of miles away from my family who would be preparing their own meal in the house where I grew up, I thought about where I was and where I had come from, this year thankful for so many things.

First, for the courage that got me here.
For my family and friends who encouraged me to pursue this experience, and whose words, priceless and necessary, continue to keep up my spirits.
For the new family that I now belong to, my Peace Corps fellows. As immutable as blood, we share this experience, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
For the hospitality and forgivingness of my Senegalese host families, both here at site, and in Thiès; that they now call me sister, daughter, friend.
To everyone who sent me birthday wishes over the last few weeks, especially my dearest who actually sent packages - you know who you are ;) and how much I love you.
For my relative health, and that the “cold season” has finally arrived!
(Friday morning at 7:30 it was 66 degrees in Ndioum.)
For cell phones, computers, and postage stamps; that they keep us connected and bridge the gap that can seem so wide at times.
For John F. Kennedy, whose vision is still alive today, and for Barack Obama; may he live up to what we hope for him.
And for patience, perseverance, perspective, and a sense of humor.

This year I have gone so far, and grown so much. For everything and everyone that has made (and continues to make) that possible, thanks. merci. jërëjef.

p.s. I wish I could post a few photos, but unfortunately both my digital and film cameras are currently "en panne" - that is, not working. So you'll have to trust my words for now, and when some of my friends upload some photos, I'll link them here. Until then...

No comments: