Sunday, August 2, 2009

Monday 6/29 3 am

There’s so much to say. For starters, I made it back to [my home town]. It’s pretty much the same as the way I left it…
It’s not as strange to be back here as I’d imagined it would be.
But it is weird. America is weird. I don’t know where to start talking about how I feel right now - like I’m back in this comfortable place, but it’s not my home anymore. I mean I kind of knew that that’s how it would be, but it’s weird […] To feel like “where I’m coming from” is literally so different now.

It is so green here. There’s green everywhere.
It’s raining again right now, and it’s perfect.
I love the rain.
This house is so cluttered - there’s so much STUFF everywhere, in every nook and cranny, I feel SURROUNDED.
I had ice cream twice in the last two days and I wasn’t really thrilled by it. I think I’m over ice cream.
I keep thinking about what [my Senegalese friends] would say, do, react to if [they] were seeing all this right now. What would [they] think of the Farmer’s Market. Of my aunt’s house. Of this house, where I grew up. Of this town.

People are fat here.
Everyone’s in their cars, not out on the streets.
It’s big and spread out.

No comments: