Sunday, February 10, 2008

top 10 lists are always fun.

I've got just one week left here in Portland, until I ship out to the east coast to spend 3 weeks with family and friends before staging. I'm going to miss this town big time, but I thought it might cheer me up to remember what I'll be coming back to in 2 years. For your reading enjoyment, 10 things that (in my humble opinion) make Portland a sweet place to live.

10. Portland public access TV channels, featuring such home video genius as Alex Magic, the Beaverton Elementary chorus, and Drinking With Jared, of which one 30-minute show I witnessed was devoted entirely to tasting and critiquing a limited-edition holiday pack of Jones Soda.

9. Sunday sample tastings at New Seasons. What other store makes grocery shopping so enjoyable?

8. The 7 am #17 bus driver, who always announces the stop after Everett and Davis as "Hoochie-Cooch Street." Thank you for brightening my morning.

7. Fearless bikers. I salute you.

6. Championship-level baristas. My weaning from caffeine will begin after my departure from Oregon, clearly.

5. The view of Mt. Hood on clear mornings.

4. Finding something new in the stacks at Powell's. It's a city block wide, so finding the friend you came with might be the bigger issue.

3. The rain.

2. Getting carded at Safeway for buying cold medicine.

and my number 1 favorite Portland treat:

1. Buying and devouring banana fritters with peanut butter and chocolate chip topping from Voodoo Doughnuts at 2 in the morning. They have hands-down the "best doughnuts of life!"

No comments: